Our business is thriving and our project volume is strong which has created a need for an additional Estimator. The Estimator performs all tasks necessary to create complete and accurate cost estimates for hard bid and negotiated projects as well as conceptual budgets. Once awarded a project, the Estimator works to transfer all information and knowledge about the project to the assigned Project Manager to ensure a smooth hand- off between PreConstruction and Construction.
Manage Project Documents & Bid Process:
• Downloads and manages all documents on Horizon’s electronic network
• Adheres to the department’s bid process and effectively managing time in order to submit the estimate by the assigned due date
• Attends site visits and pre-bid meetings as necessary. Occasional overnight travel is required to attend meetings.
Solicit Pricing from Subcontractors & Vendors:
• Identifies subcontractors and vendors best suited for the project type and location
• Requests are distributed via Horizon’s online bid management system
• Sources new subcontractors and vendors as required to meet Horizon’s goals
• Distributes accurate and detailed information on the project scope to all prospective bidders
• Seeks out competitive pricing to ensure Horizon is as competitive as possible
Perform Quantity Take-Offs:
• Take-offs can be performed digitally or manually
• Take-offs should be accurate and account for waste and other factors that may be pertinent to the project
• Horizon does purchase materials on many projects as opposed to working exclusively with turnkey subcontractors. The estimator will need to be proficient in quantifying many types of materials from concrete and masonry materials to carpentry and finish materials
Assemble Bids & Budgets:
• Qualifies all subcontractor and vendor quotes to review their accuracy
• Captures all material, equipment and labor needed to submit a complete estimate
• Transfers the estimate information to any necessary bid forms or summary forms provided by the client as well as any additional documentation required by the client
• Reviews each estimate with the Vice President of Construction (or other designated individual) prior to bid submittal.
• Provides feedback to all subcontractors and vendors regarding the status of award
• Collects feedback from the client regarding the competitiveness of our bid
• Stores bid information in an organized manner so that it can be referenced in the future
Hand-off to Project Management:
• Conducts a turnover meeting with the assigned Project Manager and presents the estimate and details of the project
• Prices any post-bid alternates or changes as necessary
• Assists the Project Manager with any information that may be needed to draft the Owner contract
• Organizes all quotes and bid information for a smooth transition to the
ABOUT YOU – THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management or Building Science.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS:
• Candidates must demonstrate 3-5 years of stable Estimating experience working with a
Commercial General Contractor.
• Microsoft Office Suite – intermediate to advanced Excel
• Digital/On-Screen Take-off software
• Bid Management/Plan Distribution software
• Knowledge of construction technology and processes.
• Ability to read plans and familiarity with construction sequencing.
• Strong problem-solving skills and ability to address complex issues creatively and effectively.
• Ability to work on multiple estimates simultaneously; our Estimators are responsible for all divisions in the bid process.
• Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment
• Strong communication and relationship skills.
• Above average organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Ability to juggle competing priorities and to meet deadlines.
• Strong sense of dedication and commitment
• High degree of initiative, personal responsibility and integrity.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
In addition to great career opportunities, Horizon also offers the following:
• Competitive base salary
• Generous Profit Sharing
• Performance-based annual salary increases
• Generous Paid Time Off (vacation, sick leave, etc.)
• Company-paid Life Insurance and Short & Long-term Disability
• Health, dental and vision insurance
• 401k program with company match
Horizon Construction is an Equal Opportunity Employer!
Job Type: Full-time